Monday, October 19, 2009

DIY For Halloween

So if you haven't gathered this from any of my previous postings, fall is my favorite season. I love everything about it. Well, usually! Except for when it snows in Minnesota during October... Anyway, one of my favorite things to do is to put out my fall & Halloween decorations. I think it's more enjoyable than getting ready for Christmas because you get to up the cozy-factor at home without all of the hassel/cleaning up to do afterwards! This year, I tested out a quick and easy Halloween DIY project that turned out pretty cute. At least I think so! The finished product is re-usable and inexpensive. Here's the 411 in case you'd like to try it out for yourself:
Required materials:
Medium-sized styrofoam balls: $3.99/each
Tempra paint (black): $3.79
Wood/foam painting tool: $1.29
Small fuzzy/decorative balls: $0.99
Peach-O's: $2.78 for 2 bags
Glue: I had it on hand, but you could purchase a low-temp glue gun for $11 at Wal-Mart.
Instructions:
1. Start out by painting the styrofoam ball completely black using the Tempra paint and foam tool. Wait for it to completely dry.
2. Glue the Peach O's onto the styrofoam using a hot glue gun or E6000. Use any pattern or arrangement you'd like.
3. Glue on the black 'fuzzies' scarttered throughout the open spaces. Wait for it to completely dry.
4. Place the ball on top of a vase or narrow bowl to display. I set mine on top of clear glasses filled with candy corn for extra color.
Suggestions:
1. You could easily personalize this project and use different kinds of candy. For Halloween, another option would be to use Reeces Pieces or the new Electric M & Ms. Tip: If you're working with chocolate, keep in mind that the hot glue may cause it to melt. I'd suggest using a different glue if you choose to go this route.
2. Depending on what you choose to decorate them with, this craft could be used for any season/occasion.
3. Save it with your other seasonal decorations! This project is something that could be pulled out and displayed year after year.
I encourage you to try this one out because it doesn't get any easier than this! Not counting the glue, it costs only $8.41 to make each! A little cheaper than buying decorations from Target, don't you think? Plus, there's something to be said for the satisfaction that comes from making things yourself. I have one displayed on each end of my fireplace and I love 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment